The École will award up to three full-ride scholarships for new students in Middle School (6th-8th Grade) for the 2020-2021 school year.
The scholarship will cover the full tuition for the student’s duration at The École, meaning that if they start the 2020-2021 school year in 6th Grade, their tuition will be covered for three years, through 8th Grade.
The École has decided to take this exciting step because it saw a need in the current dual-language offerings in NYC. Most public schools that offer a dual French-English program end in 5th Grade, so parents with children in those programs who would like to continue their bilingual education are left with very few options. The École’s recent expansion of its main building, creating more space to welcome more children, has enabled the school to implement this scholarship program.
How to apply to The École 2020-2021 Middle School Scholarships
1. Check that you meet the three requirements below:
Candidates who wish to apply for the Middle School scholarship at The École for the 2020-2021 school year:
- Must not be a current student at The École
- Must be in 5th, 6th or 7th Grade during the 2019-2020 school year
- Must speak, read and write in French and in English
2. Apply to The École Middle School:
All candidates must fill out an application to The École via our online application platform.
Once your application is completed and ready to submit, please contact scholarship@theEcole.org, and we will be able to accept your application and waive the application fee.
3. Apply to SSS NAIS
Financial need will be assessed based on an application submitted to the School & Student Services by NAIS (National Association of Independent Schools). Families must submit this application at the same time as the application to The École.
4. Submit original writing samples and an essay
All candidates must submit via the online application platform:
- One original writing sample in French (1-2 pages), ideally done for a school assignment.
- One original writing sample in English (1-2 pages), ideally done for a school assignment.
- An original essay (1-2 pages) on the importance of bi/multilingualism. The essay may be in English, French, or both!
To be considered for the 2020-2021 Middle School Scholarship all of the required items (The École Application, supplementary documents, the results from SSS NAIS and the original writing samples and essay) must be submitted to The École before February 22, 2020.
5. First selection round:
Families will be informed via email before February 24, 2020 if student is selected or not for the next round. The selection will be based on three main criteria: financial need, diversity and merit.
Candidates selected for the next round will be invited to come to The École on February 29, 2020 or March 1, 2020 to:
- Give a short presentation (3 to 5 minutes) to a jury on an assigned topic
- Give a short presentation (3 to 5 minutes) to a jury on a topic of their choice
- One presentation should be in English, the other in French. Powerpoint, Google Slides, or similar presentation platforms may be used.
- Complete an interview with a panel of teachers, administration and experts in multilingual education.
The results of the scholarship awards will be made public on March 10, 2020. Families will be notified via email.
Please contact scholarship@theEcole.org for any question related to the 2020-2021 Middle School Scholarship process.